Skip to main content

Not Focusing On The Win vs. Expecting Not To Win

Last weekend I was scheduled to play in our club's mini tournament. I woke up Saturday morning with slight fever, still had to do some house work and had to head out to play first round as I had promised the tournament director that I would play. I wasn't in any condition to play frankly, but any day I get to play tennis, beats most other ordinary days, so off I went.

My first opponent was a nice gentleman who played very irregularly and was coming off a 3-month break from tennis, his level was at 3.0 level. We were to play 8-game proset due to time constraints. We started and quickly it was 4-0 in my favor, but my energy was draining very rapidly. I really wasn't try to win, wasn't exploiting his apparent weaknesses, I just wanted to play while I lasted and hopefully pack my bags and get back to a hot shower and bed at home. I thought probably the quickest way to get home was to win the match and forfeit the next one, so I set out to finish set as rapidly as possible by focusing on each point. As quickly as we got to 4-0, we were now at 4-4. Eventually I relaxed and won the match 8-5, but I wasn't happy with the way it turned.

Tournament director came to court and asked me if I could play my next match right afterwards, so they can get on with their normal schedule, with all of adrenalin pumping I said "sure." This time my opponent was a high level 4.0 with really heavy topspin shots, athletic and with the accuracy that tempted me to run across the whole court. I knew his reputation as being a good player, so I started the match without the objective of winning; actually I am sure I convinced myself I would not win. Eventually I lost 8-3; however, I was surprised with the way I played in some ways; I had great serves, was able to adapt my shots and tactics. At the end I had too many unforced errors, I could not run to balls and my timing was completely off, I suspect it is a natural outcome of being sick.

However, these two matches I think demonstrate how much our attitude, thinking and general mental state shifts during matches and how much of an impact this has on the outcomes. When I wanted to win and I tried to win, I was losing; when I convinced myself that I could not win, the fate of the match was already sealed, I just wasted energy until the last moments of the 2nd match when I started winning point after point, because I was focused on enjoying the points. 

I am not saying anything new here of course, sport psychology explains this quite well and there are experts in this field that can articulate this phenomenon better than I can. The purpose of this post is to explain how I am experiencing what has already been explained by field professionals. I think it is important to recognize the situations, because when I have to recall situations in the future to ensure I achieve the results I want, I now have reference points, and I hope this also helps the reader.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Highs and Lows It has been an amazing four weeks since my last post. I have had many highs and few really lows. The ups and downs bring up new questions for me, and the main one is what is it that I am looking to achieve while enjoy tennis as a fun hobby. It is a competitive sport at the end, and without movement forward, staying stagnant is not for me. Although I keep my competitiveness in check for the most extent - otherwise it get impractical and unhealthy - I still want to be competitive on court both in singles and doubles, and continue to improve. Let me get back to this later on. For the highs: I was invited into my club's 4.0+ singles group to play regularly for practice matches, my serves have gotten very good with nearly excellent placement and pace, my volleys are improving, my movement on court has also improved noticeably specifically in singles matches, I am cutting down on my unforced errors and playing matches more intelligently with strategy. All of this m

Almost...

I like playing against R.M., I like practicing with him too. He is a solid NTRP 4.0 level player, an impressive one at that as he has been playing only for 3 years. Self-admittedly he say he plays a tremendous amount of tennis; most mornings he tells me he hits with his spouse at 6 am, goes to work, then sometimes plays a match during lunch time, then most evenings he plays another match, all either singles or doubles, he probably plays at least ten or so times and 20 hours a week. So, he has probably squeezed 8 to 10 years of clinics, private coaching and match playing experience into those short three years. It is also notable that he is 60 years old and comes with an athleticism of a forty year old. He runs, gets to balls, never out of breath and knows the game very well. He has no apparent weaknesses; he has high-paced slice serves, flat and fast FHs and BHs, superb drop shots, and slices that will give you the finest salamis. Needless to say during the total two matches I played a
My Way Back Into Tennis 1974, Paris, I wonder through cobble stone streets trying to make sense of the place. I am 9 years old, we just got there due to my parents new work assignment. No French, I am looking with blank eyes to people that are trying to talk to me, in my own way I am telling them I have no clue why I am there, and I don't want to be there, I want to be back home with my friends. That ain't happening of course. Quite reserved I am, scared and mute. I hate the place, and I do mean hate. After few months of unapproachable attitude, while my parents do their best to help me acclimate into the environment by trying to entertain me with various activities, they take me to a tennis complex. The place is full of red dirt, crowded, I have some silly hard and uncomfortable shoes on that hurt my feet with each step. People are playing tennis, which I don't quite understand the attractiveness, but I admit to myself that they are pretty cool looking people; white