Skip to main content

Out of Coma, Relearning ATP and WTP

Getting back into tennis I feel like I woke up from a coma after twenty-four years. All the professional players have of course changed, the game has advanced in so many different ways I am having difficulty absorbing all of it. 

One player I had heard even when I wasn't interested in tennis was Serena Williams and of course I cannot discount Venus. I am surprised to find out that they both still play, and play at a very high level, not seniors tour. The level of power Serena seems to posses is quite astonishing and I haven't seen anyone that can really match it yet, but it only has been a short time I have been awake from the coma, I am sure there are many other players to see.

Rafael Nadal seems to have some furious top sin forehands, I am at a loss at how he can maintain his energy through the match while hitting with such top sin at all times and with pace, mind you.  Although equally amazingly his opponents seem to have answers to those types of shots by constantly being at the right place at the right time (amazing speed), but it appears Nadal has been a very successful player for a long time, and this may be his downward spiral according to commentators.  I certainly like his game and will be watching more closely.

Novak Djockovic is apparently #1 ranked player currently, but i have not had the chance to watch him much yet as the Tennis Channel lineup seems to favor their Plus version asking for additional subscription.  
Short rant: Now more and more subscription based channels are popping up, so we are supposed to pay the cable companies and if we want quality programming we will have to pay additional for each channel for their premium service.  I guess soon we will all be paying $500-700/month to watch the channels we want, because the cable companies are not going to let this go easily.
Andy Murray seems to be another high-level player and is now in the finals in Rogers Cup.  He has an interesting game that I haven't yet figured out, but I don't find it exciting yet, much more to follow to better understand.

I am also so pleased there were several French players that seem to make a difference, but not quite at the highest levels yet.

The best part so far is finding so many high-quality American players. Isner, Sock, Bryan brothers, Stephens, Keys, Querrey, Johnson, and many others.  I am really rooting for them.  I also have missed the era of Roddick unfortunately, it seems he was a specially gifted player.


Admittedly I am most excited to watch Roger Federer, he seems to be captivating and I relate to his style the most frankly.

This week I am watching the Rogers Cup, so many interesting matches, and the athleticism of the players seem amazing to me.  Amazingly this young lady, Bencic just won again Serena! Not the best tennis, but exciting to see a newcomer take on such a powerful and experienced player.  Frankly, watching Serena during this match one wonders how she has made such a big name for herself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Highs and Lows It has been an amazing four weeks since my last post. I have had many highs and few really lows. The ups and downs bring up new questions for me, and the main one is what is it that I am looking to achieve while enjoy tennis as a fun hobby. It is a competitive sport at the end, and without movement forward, staying stagnant is not for me. Although I keep my competitiveness in check for the most extent - otherwise it get impractical and unhealthy - I still want to be competitive on court both in singles and doubles, and continue to improve. Let me get back to this later on. For the highs: I was invited into my club's 4.0+ singles group to play regularly for practice matches, my serves have gotten very good with nearly excellent placement and pace, my volleys are improving, my movement on court has also improved noticeably specifically in singles matches, I am cutting down on my unforced errors and playing matches more intelligently with strategy. All of this m

Almost...

I like playing against R.M., I like practicing with him too. He is a solid NTRP 4.0 level player, an impressive one at that as he has been playing only for 3 years. Self-admittedly he say he plays a tremendous amount of tennis; most mornings he tells me he hits with his spouse at 6 am, goes to work, then sometimes plays a match during lunch time, then most evenings he plays another match, all either singles or doubles, he probably plays at least ten or so times and 20 hours a week. So, he has probably squeezed 8 to 10 years of clinics, private coaching and match playing experience into those short three years. It is also notable that he is 60 years old and comes with an athleticism of a forty year old. He runs, gets to balls, never out of breath and knows the game very well. He has no apparent weaknesses; he has high-paced slice serves, flat and fast FHs and BHs, superb drop shots, and slices that will give you the finest salamis. Needless to say during the total two matches I played a
My Way Back Into Tennis 1974, Paris, I wonder through cobble stone streets trying to make sense of the place. I am 9 years old, we just got there due to my parents new work assignment. No French, I am looking with blank eyes to people that are trying to talk to me, in my own way I am telling them I have no clue why I am there, and I don't want to be there, I want to be back home with my friends. That ain't happening of course. Quite reserved I am, scared and mute. I hate the place, and I do mean hate. After few months of unapproachable attitude, while my parents do their best to help me acclimate into the environment by trying to entertain me with various activities, they take me to a tennis complex. The place is full of red dirt, crowded, I have some silly hard and uncomfortable shoes on that hurt my feet with each step. People are playing tennis, which I don't quite understand the attractiveness, but I admit to myself that they are pretty cool looking people; white