Skip to main content

I Fell Good... I Know That I Would...

Spring season's first USTA 18 & Over League match was tonight, paired up with T.P. for #1 doubles court. I have to admit that I was nervous, much more so than any other match before. I think this was primarily because I wanted to win to improve my NTRP rating, I wish I did not want that as I put unnecessary pressure on me. Thankfully, T.P. game to the match pumped up, itching to get on court and confident, it helped me calm down and feel his confidence as well.

I had been playing much more throughout the week than ever before, physically I was also a little weaker than normal, I was really hoping to play well, and I was mostly worried about my serves. When I am tired my serves are the first to go down hill and when my serves don't work, nothing else works.

Thankfully, I had the best serving match ever. The pace and placement of my serves were eye opening, and our opponents took notice, waiting to return the serves 2-3 ft behind the baseline. The best parts were than I had only one double fault at a non-critical point, and none of my serve games were broken. Most of the games during my serves were easy wins, except the game in which I had a double fault, we won that 40-30.

Despite great serving, my topspin BHs were no where to be found, I only had one winner hitting topspin and lost three points, so I kept slicing. My FHs were not too bad, but not close to what they usually are, still have close to a dozen winners on my FH and probably half-a-dozen losses. T.P. had one of his best nights though. So the combination of my serves and his solid play won us the match 6-3, 6-4. This was one of those matches that solidifies my position that serves are too important not to be developed to the maximum extent before any other shots.

It feels really good to start off the season with such a critical win. Sadly, our team lost the two other doubles matches; singles matches are to be played another day. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Almost...

I like playing against R.M., I like practicing with him too. He is a solid NTRP 4.0 level player, an impressive one at that as he has been playing only for 3 years. Self-admittedly he say he plays a tremendous amount of tennis; most mornings he tells me he hits with his spouse at 6 am, goes to work, then sometimes plays a match during lunch time, then most evenings he plays another match, all either singles or doubles, he probably plays at least ten or so times and 20 hours a week. So, he has probably squeezed 8 to 10 years of clinics, private coaching and match playing experience into those short three years. It is also notable that he is 60 years old and comes with an athleticism of a forty year old. He runs, gets to balls, never out of breath and knows the game very well. He has no apparent weaknesses; he has high-paced slice serves, flat and fast FHs and BHs, superb drop shots, and slices that will give you the finest salamis. Needless to say during the total two matches I played a
The Highs and Lows It has been an amazing four weeks since my last post. I have had many highs and few really lows. The ups and downs bring up new questions for me, and the main one is what is it that I am looking to achieve while enjoy tennis as a fun hobby. It is a competitive sport at the end, and without movement forward, staying stagnant is not for me. Although I keep my competitiveness in check for the most extent - otherwise it get impractical and unhealthy - I still want to be competitive on court both in singles and doubles, and continue to improve. Let me get back to this later on. For the highs: I was invited into my club's 4.0+ singles group to play regularly for practice matches, my serves have gotten very good with nearly excellent placement and pace, my volleys are improving, my movement on court has also improved noticeably specifically in singles matches, I am cutting down on my unforced errors and playing matches more intelligently with strategy. All of this m

Focus! Or Lack There Of

My match play is improving; during the last couple of weeks I won my last two USTA mixed doubles matches with my partners, and two of my singles ladder matches.  I am mostly winning with social matches as well playing just doubles. So, you'd think I should be satisfied, but I am not. Somethings are not quite right. I do have issues with my footwork, which creates timing issues, which in turn results in inconsistencies.  At least that is my own analysis. I try to address this by increasing my cardio performance as best as I can, work on my leg muscles and abdominals, etc. None have resulted in any tangible benefits. So, what else or other is wrong? It is an ongoing search... I have not experienced being in the zone yet. Although I know how to recognize it due to having experienced it quite often during my track days (HPDEs), I am yet to find that zone with tennis.  Part of it is experience, I think I need to play many more matches before I can find the zone, amongst other things