Skip to main content

Doubles. It Is A Chained Team Game.

I enjoy playing doubles as much as singles. The dynamics are quite different, the shots are different with more variety, and you get to experience amazing back-and-forth plays within a single point covering the whole spectrum of fast, high, low and touch shots.  It can also get frustrating often, especially when played with by partners that have no synergy, coordination or expectations. One of the most important aspects of doubles team, in my opinion, is to match the skill and experience level of the partners close to one another. Doubles in tennis is one of those games that if one of the payers cannot perform, his/her partner cannot compensate for bad play. In this sense it is a chained game, and if one of the chain links is broken the entire chain falls apart.

I am part of a team in a 3.0 league and play both singles and doubles. Although I admit my game is much more suited nowadays to 3.5 level, but the USTA NTRP ratings calculations have progressed slower than my game in the last 4-5 months.  I do expect that by the end of the 2016, I will be moved up to 3.5, which I am looking forward. Obviously for me to move up I have to win more than I lose, and even if I lose I should not be losing with wide margins. To help the matters, I also play up in 3.5 team as well, which I haven't lost a match yet.

We are facing a single team as our opponent in our league, there seems to be a lack of interest at 3.0 level for league play. We have 11 players in our team and our opposing team has 10, I am one of the top four players in our team. Our captain wanted to rotate players around to give everyone a chance to play different roles, which I thought was a good idea. Our team overall is better than the opposing team, we won the first two matchups 4-1.

Unfortunately, our captain made a crucial mistake: he paired his best players in doubles with the worst players. I imagine he thought that the better players will be able to compensate for the weaker players as their partners. In tennis it does not work that way, one weak link in the team is more than enough to bring down the entire team. The partner cannot compensate for the weak link, even if the opposing team is half-smart, they'll focus on the weak link and play majority of the balls towards the weaker player and win point after point.

I was late to the match by 8 minutes, which automatically gave two games to our opponents even before we started. I did not even warm up and we started the match with pleasantries, I vaguely knew my partner, but focused more on playing well. Within 20 mins we were up 4-3, and then my partner dropped his serve game a second time and our opponents realized that all they had to do is send back the ball in some fashion to my partner whenever the ball lands on their court. 

Part of the side effect of pairing players with wide ranging games is it forces the better player to try hard to compensate for the weaker partner, taking more risks, over-running, over-serving, etc. I fell into the same trap myself, and as the match progressed I made more and more mistakes, compounding the problem. We lost the first set 4-6 and second set 1-6. Looking up the match history of my partner afterwards, I realized he hasn't won any USTA league match since 2013.

From time to time I would also look at how the matches on adjacent courts were going, and B.C. (another of the better players in our team, who was paired with the second worst player in the team) was also having terrible time. On the singles #1 court things did not seem any better frankly. My match lasted 50 minutes, I was furious and packed up and left, courteously of course; I did not want to know the results of the other matches suspecting similar faith.

We lost the matchup 1-4 apparently; both singles, two of the doubles. B.C.'s match was even worse than mine, they lost 2-6, 1-6. There are no faults on the players' part in my opinion, the captain bears all the responsibility in this case. What was he thinking? He acted as if he just does not understand the game at all.

Not only we lost the match-up in flames, but our individual NTRP average gets impacted as well, particularly by losing on such wide margins. Part of the lesson learned here for me is not just sign up for teams that send an invitation, and doing some research on the captain as well.  For this captain let's chalk it up to inexperience as this is the first time he is captaining.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Almost...

I like playing against R.M., I like practicing with him too. He is a solid NTRP 4.0 level player, an impressive one at that as he has been playing only for 3 years. Self-admittedly he say he plays a tremendous amount of tennis; most mornings he tells me he hits with his spouse at 6 am, goes to work, then sometimes plays a match during lunch time, then most evenings he plays another match, all either singles or doubles, he probably plays at least ten or so times and 20 hours a week. So, he has probably squeezed 8 to 10 years of clinics, private coaching and match playing experience into those short three years. It is also notable that he is 60 years old and comes with an athleticism of a forty year old. He runs, gets to balls, never out of breath and knows the game very well. He has no apparent weaknesses; he has high-paced slice serves, flat and fast FHs and BHs, superb drop shots, and slices that will give you the finest salamis. Needless to say during the total two matches I played a
The Highs and Lows It has been an amazing four weeks since my last post. I have had many highs and few really lows. The ups and downs bring up new questions for me, and the main one is what is it that I am looking to achieve while enjoy tennis as a fun hobby. It is a competitive sport at the end, and without movement forward, staying stagnant is not for me. Although I keep my competitiveness in check for the most extent - otherwise it get impractical and unhealthy - I still want to be competitive on court both in singles and doubles, and continue to improve. Let me get back to this later on. For the highs: I was invited into my club's 4.0+ singles group to play regularly for practice matches, my serves have gotten very good with nearly excellent placement and pace, my volleys are improving, my movement on court has also improved noticeably specifically in singles matches, I am cutting down on my unforced errors and playing matches more intelligently with strategy. All of this m
Strings Of The Past, Getting On With The " Hybrids " Technology has changed certainly over last three decades. The new rackets and strings are such a huge improvement from the days I played seriously, I feel I am relearning tennis. Without understanding the best ways to use the technology available, it is no longer possible to be effective on court it seems. One of the changes that has caught me by surprise is the much closer link between racket type, composition, weight/balance to strings utilized. The sheer number of different rackets on the market is not possible for me to follow, and equally vast number of type of strings available. So, when you look at the possible permutations, it is mind boggling for me. So, I making it easy on myself: When I first picked my racket (Wilson ProStaff RF97A), I just went with the recommended string imprinted on the racket, Wilson Championship Duo string set with 59 lbs main string tension and 56 on the crosses. Incidentally, I had nev