Skip to main content

Plock Is Coming Along Well

Month of September has been great, my improvement has kicked into one higher gear, subsequently my enjoyment of Tennis. I still have many issues to resolve, however, my consistency has improved dramatically, as well as spins and power I can deliver both with my backhand and forehand.

First thing I tackled was my forehand, trying to find the factors that would give me good power in combination of topspin to make sure the shots do not go long, and at the same time better my technique in a way that does not put too much strain on my arm and elbow. Power is not the objective of course, I also worked on being able to hit forehands with medium pace and spin, while keeping the bounce within the last 5-6 ft portion of opposing court.

It all boiled down to three things: (1) keeping my feet and legs mobilized, so I can position my body in the right place to be able to execute the next two items. I am doing much better with this, but there is plenty of room for improvement. (2) Instead of fully opening my racket passed my shoulder, I adopted a way in which I recoil racket far less with the head looking down and initiate a motion forward that goes from low to high hitting the ball in the middle. It has also proven to be useful for me to keep an open body stance during during this motion. However, with an open stance I have now compromised the accuracy of my down-the-line shots, which I am continuing to work on. (3) To add power, I try to keep pace of the full motion with my arm the same, but just before hitting the ball, I flick the racket with my wrist, which tend to increase the speed of the racket head significantly. The shots go slightly flatter, but with enough topspin to reliably stay on court.

On the backhand, I have struggled more in putting pace as I use a one-hand technique. Without prolonging, the technique I use is very similar to forehand, but I have to recoil my racket all the way to my shoulder, make sure I start high up, go down as I start the motion to hit the ball and come back up as I am catching the ball just ahead of my body. I have to use the wrist flick to be able to put even moderate pace. The other adjustment I have to make compared to my forehand is that I have to turn my body sideways to incoming ball and have my forward knee bend demonstrably to hit reliable shots. Now I have good pace, reliability and accuracy IF I can perform all of the above. The key adjustment 

I had to make is the timing of motions between fore and back hands are different, which also changes the preparation of those shots; backhand takes more time (split second, but significant), so again it all boils down to keeping my legs and feet mobile.

I still have a lot of room to work on my serves, but even my kick second serves are proving effective at my level, although they lack pace.

All of this analysis and work has resulted in me not losing any sets or matches in doubles I have been playing. With reliable shots, I am able to put a lot of pressure on service returns and with good volleying and overhead smash I have been able to help my team in earning points to keep ahead of competition, regardless of partners.

USTA sanctioned mixed double league (combined NTRP 6.5) matches are starting, so that will be the real test to see if I can remain effective under pressure conditions.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Highs and Lows It has been an amazing four weeks since my last post. I have had many highs and few really lows. The ups and downs bring up new questions for me, and the main one is what is it that I am looking to achieve while enjoy tennis as a fun hobby. It is a competitive sport at the end, and without movement forward, staying stagnant is not for me. Although I keep my competitiveness in check for the most extent - otherwise it get impractical and unhealthy - I still want to be competitive on court both in singles and doubles, and continue to improve. Let me get back to this later on. For the highs: I was invited into my club's 4.0+ singles group to play regularly for practice matches, my serves have gotten very good with nearly excellent placement and pace, my volleys are improving, my movement on court has also improved noticeably specifically in singles matches, I am cutting down on my unforced errors and playing matches more intelligently with strategy. All of this m

Almost...

I like playing against R.M., I like practicing with him too. He is a solid NTRP 4.0 level player, an impressive one at that as he has been playing only for 3 years. Self-admittedly he say he plays a tremendous amount of tennis; most mornings he tells me he hits with his spouse at 6 am, goes to work, then sometimes plays a match during lunch time, then most evenings he plays another match, all either singles or doubles, he probably plays at least ten or so times and 20 hours a week. So, he has probably squeezed 8 to 10 years of clinics, private coaching and match playing experience into those short three years. It is also notable that he is 60 years old and comes with an athleticism of a forty year old. He runs, gets to balls, never out of breath and knows the game very well. He has no apparent weaknesses; he has high-paced slice serves, flat and fast FHs and BHs, superb drop shots, and slices that will give you the finest salamis. Needless to say during the total two matches I played a
My Way Back Into Tennis 1974, Paris, I wonder through cobble stone streets trying to make sense of the place. I am 9 years old, we just got there due to my parents new work assignment. No French, I am looking with blank eyes to people that are trying to talk to me, in my own way I am telling them I have no clue why I am there, and I don't want to be there, I want to be back home with my friends. That ain't happening of course. Quite reserved I am, scared and mute. I hate the place, and I do mean hate. After few months of unapproachable attitude, while my parents do their best to help me acclimate into the environment by trying to entertain me with various activities, they take me to a tennis complex. The place is full of red dirt, crowded, I have some silly hard and uncomfortable shoes on that hurt my feet with each step. People are playing tennis, which I don't quite understand the attractiveness, but I admit to myself that they are pretty cool looking people; white