Skip to main content

Mental State Wins, Although I Didn't Quite

I started playing a 4.0-4.5 singles group; it is primarily for practice, no points won or lost beyond the match score. So, it is not a ladder or league, just few guys filling in time playing similarly skilled players.

So, the first question is what the heck am I doing in the group? My game improved enough that the club's perception is I can hang with this group to some degree. Also, they did not meet their participant quota :)

Regardless, I am happy to have the chance to play with this tough group, and I had my first match recently. The gentleman was older by at least a decade, but he has been playing for over 20 years and clearly had a better overall game than mine. Strong forehand, a wicked slice backhand with occasional topspins, solid volleys and an effective serve with better than mediocre pace. More importantly he had better court coverage than me. 

First few games we were testing ourselves and one another. I was relaxed as I wasn't on court to win, but to play well to my own standards. I want to make my shots, minimize my double faults and unforced errors. What I felt good about the first few games was that my body was relaxed and warmed up (I had run about a mile at medium pace prior to the match just to make sure my joints are not tight, which happens frequently).

We were at 2-2 and was my turn to serve. As it happens to me often, my serves locked up, lost the rhythm and had two double faults in addition to one unforced error and a winner from my opponent; game was his in short order. 

During his serve at 3-2 we had three deuces, I had multiple winners and he had few errors of his own, but eventually he won out to 2-4. After that I had another bad serve game and he had a good one finishing up the set at 2-6. The best part was that I was still play better than I was expecting and I was really enjoying the struggle, I felt I had an increased focus starting the second set.

I improved my serves, was moving even better than the first set, and I had more confidence. We were at 3-1 on my favor with my opponent giving away a serve game with three double faults. I won my serve game without any double faults to bring it to 3-2, then my opponent had another really bad serve game with two double faults and I was up 4-2. From that point my confidence was so high that my unforced errors were non-existent and I was spraying winners. I won the second set decisively, I was smiling ear to ear, it felt so good. We ran out of court time to play a tie-breaker and that was just fine with me.

I did not win or lose, it was a draw and probably my most satisfying match since my return to the game. This match made it clear to me how much the mental game dictates the results. I was on court to play well and not necessarily win, which kept me relaxed and gave me the chance to improve my shots, which in return improved my confidence, and it was all a positive snowballing effect from that point.

I suspect the reverse is true for my opponent. He won the first few games easily and then struggled more than he was expecting towards the end of the first set. At the beginning of the second set he started to make multiple double faults, which agitated him, tightening him up and missing more of his shots. At the same time, I was making some great shots cross-court, in-line or inside-out that compound my opponents problems. 

Experiencing such emotional exchanges and changes is something I haven't had in a tennis game for a long time, so this was unique for me. I could recognize the impact as it was happening and I hope I won't forget this lesson and avoid the peaks of mental game and have a more steady state moving forward.

Interestingly, on the side court match the losing player threw his racquet so hard it broke the wooden scoring board. They left the court without saying any words to one another; whereas my opponent and me were just chatting in good spirits as we called it the night.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Highs and Lows It has been an amazing four weeks since my last post. I have had many highs and few really lows. The ups and downs bring up new questions for me, and the main one is what is it that I am looking to achieve while enjoy tennis as a fun hobby. It is a competitive sport at the end, and without movement forward, staying stagnant is not for me. Although I keep my competitiveness in check for the most extent - otherwise it get impractical and unhealthy - I still want to be competitive on court both in singles and doubles, and continue to improve. Let me get back to this later on. For the highs: I was invited into my club's 4.0+ singles group to play regularly for practice matches, my serves have gotten very good with nearly excellent placement and pace, my volleys are improving, my movement on court has also improved noticeably specifically in singles matches, I am cutting down on my unforced errors and playing matches more intelligently with strategy. All of this m

Almost...

I like playing against R.M., I like practicing with him too. He is a solid NTRP 4.0 level player, an impressive one at that as he has been playing only for 3 years. Self-admittedly he say he plays a tremendous amount of tennis; most mornings he tells me he hits with his spouse at 6 am, goes to work, then sometimes plays a match during lunch time, then most evenings he plays another match, all either singles or doubles, he probably plays at least ten or so times and 20 hours a week. So, he has probably squeezed 8 to 10 years of clinics, private coaching and match playing experience into those short three years. It is also notable that he is 60 years old and comes with an athleticism of a forty year old. He runs, gets to balls, never out of breath and knows the game very well. He has no apparent weaknesses; he has high-paced slice serves, flat and fast FHs and BHs, superb drop shots, and slices that will give you the finest salamis. Needless to say during the total two matches I played a
My Way Back Into Tennis 1974, Paris, I wonder through cobble stone streets trying to make sense of the place. I am 9 years old, we just got there due to my parents new work assignment. No French, I am looking with blank eyes to people that are trying to talk to me, in my own way I am telling them I have no clue why I am there, and I don't want to be there, I want to be back home with my friends. That ain't happening of course. Quite reserved I am, scared and mute. I hate the place, and I do mean hate. After few months of unapproachable attitude, while my parents do their best to help me acclimate into the environment by trying to entertain me with various activities, they take me to a tennis complex. The place is full of red dirt, crowded, I have some silly hard and uncomfortable shoes on that hurt my feet with each step. People are playing tennis, which I don't quite understand the attractiveness, but I admit to myself that they are pretty cool looking people; white